Bulls bounce back after cup-semi shock

THE ABILITY to bounce back from a setback is the hallmark of a top side, and BULWELL proved their pedigree with a 2-0 success in the Senior Division of the Notts Senior League to recover from the previous week’s shock cup exit.

The Bulls crashed out in the semi-finals of the Notts FA Intermediate Cup at the hands of underdogs Southwell St Mary’s.

So it was crucial the second-placed locals beat Attenborough to keep up their challenge for the title — a requirement they duly fulfilled without being at their free-flowing best and while having to show patience until the goals came in the second half.

The crucial breakthrough arrived in the 62nd minute when Connor Carter picked out John Manders for a powerful header.

With the match in the balance, Bulwell finally made the points safe five minutes from the death when substitute Stuart Gretton, who was brought on for man-of-the-match Josh Niblett, converted a cross from Carter.

Before the game, The Bulls made three changes with star striker Allan Jeffries, Jamie Moore and Ward all missing.

In a slow start, it wasn’t until the 18th minute that the locals made their first genuine chance. And it wasn’t until Manders went through one-on-one that they looked like breaking the stalemate. But he squandered the chance with a weak finish.

After the break, the home side looked more potent but The Bulls began to find their feet and after the opening goal had several chances to extend their advantage through Jay Knight, Carter and substitute Robert England, who all fluffed their lines.

Bulwell are now 18 points behind leaders Cavaliers with six games in hand and their hectic schedule continued last night (Thursday) with a game against bottom side Sandhurst ahead of tomorrow’s local-derby clash with Linby Colliery Welfare.

BULWELL LINE-UP — Wheat/ Murdock, Walker, Knight, Soar, Keetley, King, Niblett J., Manders, Carter, McCaffrey. Subs: England (for McCaffrey 57), Carter (for Manders 68), Gretton (for Niblett 81).