Hard graft key to Town survival

DISASTER STRIKES -- Hucknall concede after just 90 seconds against Kidsgrove Athletic -- DISPIC NHUD12-2951-1
DISASTER STRIKES -- Hucknall concede after just 90 seconds against Kidsgrove Athletic -- DISPIC NHUD12-2951-1

JOINT boss Ian Robinson says there is no substitute for hard work if Hucknall Town are to dig themselves out of the deep relegation hole they find themselves in.

The Yellows are marooned at the foot of the table in Division One South of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League.

And Robinson and fellow gaffer Gary Sucharewycz are still waiting for their first point after climbing into the hotseat.

The club’s plight was brought into even sharper focus during the last week after they were hammered 5-0 at home by Kidsgrove Athletic last Saturday and were beaten 5-1 on their travels at Leek Town on Tuesday.

Robinson told the Dispatch categorically that there was “no excuse” for the results — particularly against Kidsgrove where the players’ commitment was questioned.

But he also says that behind the scenes those players that have been drafted in are working hard in training and he is confident the club can turn the corner.

“We know what we need to do,” said Robinson, who retired from playing two years ago through injury and moved to Watnall Road from a position as head of the academy at Carlton Town.

“We have brought in a lot of players and we need to get them all on the pitch at the same time, then we can make an impact.

“It is confusing for the players and must be confusing for the fans. Myself and Gary know how we want to play and how we want to set up the side, but we cannot get the right players on the pitch to do that.

“It is difficult to attract the personnel on our budget, but everyone should rest assured that we are trying our best.”

Robinson also points to the fact that the club seem to be blighted by a terrible run of bad luck.

“When you are struggling, everything seems to go against you,” he said.

Against Kidsgrove, not only did The Yellows concede a goal after just 90 seconds, they were also dealt a severe injury blow.

The experienced Francis Green, who was making his first start since joining the club, suffered a bad knock in the 25th minute.

It has since been revealed that he broke his leg and will be unavailable for at least seven weeks.

Against Leek, with Town in the ascendancy after opening the scoring inside the first two minutes, they were controversially reduced to ten men by a straight red card for another new face, Alton Reynalls.

Despite the troubles, Robinson is determined that his and Sucharewycz’s arrival will spark a turnaround in their fortunes, starting at high-riding Gresley tomorrow (Saturday).

“We know what needs to be done and we have to ride the wave,” said Robinson.

“We will come out the other side. The lads are showing great desire and we are working them hard. We made it perfectly clear after the Kidsgrove game what was expected of them and they now understand.

“We haven’t been raving and shouting, that achieves nothing. We have tried to be constructive but we need to start picking up points.”

Robinson is also mindful that the crucial Christmas period of games is looming large and with Town five points adrift of second-from-bottom Loughborough Dynamo, results must improve.

He and Sucharewycz will also continu to try and bring in new players despite news that Burton Albion duo Evan Garnett and Jack Green will return to their club next month.

Town have this week brought in striker-cum-winger Matt Glass from Grantham and former Alfreton winger Jordan Hall