‘Keeper Lindley earns Quorn with penalty save

ONLY a penalty-save by goalkeeper James Lindley prevented an embarrassing defeat for Hucknall Town at bottom-of-the-table Quorn.

And manager Des Lyttle freely admits his side would have deserved it.

“Quorn were much better than us on the day and we were begging for the final whistle,” confessed the former Nottingham Forest defender after Town had escaped with a goalless draw.

“We never got into the flow of recent weeks and we were grateful for a point.

“We were sloppy at the back, never created anything and lacked quality in the final third.”

Lyttle also refused to hide behind a ready-made excuse — the absence of top scorer Grant Ryan and key midfielder Callum Lloyd, who were both suspended.

“We should still have had enough,” he said. “Instead we lacked the basics. We failed to do our jobs. We have to get back to doing the simple things well.

“We must learn that we have no divine right to win games just because we are fifth or sixth in the league. We have to earn what we get — and we were a bit lucky to come away with a draw.”

Leicestershire side Quorn are managed by the former Notts County man Lawrie Dudfield, who is currently employed at the City Ground as Forest’s community sport manager.

Dudfield’s troops belied their position in the table with a spirited performance but were left cursing the missed penalty in the 37th minute when their leading marksman Kris Nurse was brought down by Lindley.

The goalie was lucky to receive only a yellow card and promptly celebrated by diving low to his left to palm away Nurse’s spot-kick.

On another day, Nurse would have bagged at least a hat-trick because he had plenty of other chances in a fine display, most notably when driving inches wide in the first half.

So toothless were The Yellows in response that it took them 73 minutes to create their first real danger — despite the presence of debutant striker Francis Green.

Quorn continued to call the tune and when Adam Millson cleverly threaded the ball through to Kris Matthews, it should have resulted in a late winner. But slightly off balance, Matthews cleared the bar with his left-foot strike.

In the dying minutes, a series of corners and free-kicks rained into the Town box — but all to no avail.