League leaders edge closer to title with draw at The Tree

editorial image

Last week in the Wednesday Summer Pool League, leaders RB Legion A could have been crowned champions with a win at second placed The Tree.

The Tree however were in no mood to hand over the title without a fight. A very good tight match ended in an entertaining 4-4 draw, a fair result on the night.

The Tree started in ominous form, Legion A Captain Dez Dymock could only stand and watch as Dave Salmon completed a break dish against him to put the home side 1-0 in front.

Ashley Bettinson then increased The Tree’s lead to 2-0 with a win over Dave Wainwright. Joe Etherington pulled a leg back for Legion beating Mick Salmon and Malc Grocock levelled at 2-2 with a win against Tree Captain Joe Hammond.

A bizarre conclusion to the next leg saw The Tree go 3-2 ahead when Legion A’s Craig Johnstone potted the black ball when attempting to snooker Mick Salmon. Joe Etherington then defeated Dave Salmon to level the score again with a very good finish.

Ashley Bettinson then beat Dave Wainwright for the second time to put The Tree 4-3 in front. The last leg between The Tree’s Joe Hammond and Legion A’s Malc Grocock proved to be a tight nervy affair with Grocock just edging it to secure a point for the leaders.

Nabb A’s recent revival continues with a second successive 7-1 win, this time at home to Liberal Scallywags. Nabb were soon into their stride racing into an unassailable 5-0 lead supplied by Luke Wharton, Adam Fowkes, Danny Butler and Jason Smith (2).

Dave Horan stopped the rot and got the Scallywags on the board but Danny Butler and Dave Ellis completed the rout for Nabb on the last two legs.

RB Legion B who suffered a shock reverse the previous week secured a very good 5-3 win against Yew Tree. Dave Stacey King and Mark Hardstaff soon had Legion 2-0 in front.

Ian Wikeley pulled a leg back for Yew Tree but Clint Parker then restored Legion’s two leg advantage. Christian Northmore reduced the deficit again for Yew Tree but two legs for Legion secured the points at 5-2, Mark Hardstaff and Wayne Cartledge winning the legs. Karl Jones took the last leg for Yew Tree.

Liberal A and Station A could not be separated and settled for a share of the points with a 4-4 draw. Ray Oldham won the first leg for Liberal only to see Martin Foster level for Station.

Gary Smith and Lewis Smith took the next two legs to put Liberal 3-1 in front. Neal Dawn and Paul Hibbard then took the next two legs for Station to level the match at 3-3.

Gary Smith put Liberal on the brink of victory taking leg seven but Rob Mitchell held his nerve to take the last leg for Station and secure a point.

Chequers Veterans finally secured their first point of the season in a 4-4 draw against inter pub rivals Chequers A. The A team started brightly taking the first two legs through Ben Hathersmith and Michael Longley.

The Veterans then sprang into life taking the next four legs, Rich Bull and Vaughan Jackson winning two legs apiece. The A team snatched a point taking the last two legs, Longley and Ian Flint winning.