Misery for Yellows as Wrens romp to victory

HUCKNALL’s search for a first league victory continues as Rainworth Miners Welfare swept them aside at Kirklington Road on Bank Holiday Monday.

The Yellows drew on the opening day of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League, Division One South, season at Newcastle Town and then followed up with a 3-2 reverse at home to King’s Lynn Town.

There was hope for a return to form against local rivals Rainworth.

But that hope evaporated as they went down 4-1.

Rainworth’s Ian Holmes and Ryan Goward both had early efforts go close and Steve Carty should then have given Hucknall the lead as he found space in the box. But his neat turn didn’t match his shot and the ball went wide.

Blair Anderson then nearly benefited from a wayward Hucknall pass wide on the left as he cut inside and hit a right-foot shot just wide of Jason Fisher’s left-hand post.

On the half hour, Town’s Corey Nightingale headed a free-kick into Joe McCormack’s hands and the keeper’s quick long kick found Holmes, who neatly beat his man before scuffing his shot straight at Fisher.

The Yellows fell behind five minutes before the break as Anderson had far too much time to pick his cross out from the left and Ewan Clarke was left with time and space to turn and rifle his shot past Fisher.

After a tepid first-half, the second started off with both sides showing more impetus, Karl Slack firing wide early on for Hucknall.

Holmes then danced around three Hucknall defenders but saw his shot cannon back of the bar, but after Jamie Brown twice saw efforts denied by McCormack, Rainworth doubled their lead when Goward fired in the rebound after Clarke and Holmes both saw shots blocked.

Hucknall hit back almost immediately, as Carty fed Ben Good, who neatly fired left-footed across the keeper to get Hucknall back into the game.

Rob Austin’s 30-yard effort was too high soon afterwards and worse was to follow as against the run of play, Holmes managed to gain a yard on Danny Hayes and the finishing experi thumped the ball into the bottom corner for 3-1.

Ben Wood and Brown both had efforts denied for Town and they were made to pay as gaps began to appear and Ewan Clarke capped a good display by racing clear to fire past Fisher and complete the home side’s victory.