T8’s end season on top of table

FLASH HARRY -- striker Harry Allen (left), who scored one of T8's goals
FLASH HARRY -- striker Harry Allen (left), who scored one of T8's goals

A REMARKABLY early finish to the NOTTS SUNDAY MORNING LEAGUE season left Hucknall side T8’S on a high and top of the Premier Premier Division table.

Because of crazy defections that have reduced the division to only seven teams, T8’s wound up their successful debut-campaign in the top flight last Sunday with a 4-2 win at home to Chesterfield Arms.

They are unlikely to stay in first spot but a creditable fourth place is almost guaranteed, while this win made sure they will finish above local-derby rivals, PLOUGH BARFLIES. They also have ambitious plans to contest the FA All-England Sunday Cup next term.

After striker Harry Allen had headed against the bar, a Matt Peberday penalty gave T8’s the lead against Chesterfield. And although Justin Jenkins equalised on the break after a smart move, Allen made it 2-1 by the interval when coolly slotting home a one-on-one.

The second half was very one-sided, with T8’s missing five clearcut chances before reliable Radford centre-half Danny Hayes finally headed in a well-worked short corner between Peberday and Andy Start.

Five minutes later, top scorer Start blasted home a goal of his own and more chances were squandered before Chesterfield nicked a late consolation.

T8’S LINE-UP — Pearson J./ Conn, Peberday, Hayes D., Lamb, Gamble, Brooks, Murray, Short, Start A., Allen H. Subs: Hunt, Thomas.

CONFIDENT GREEN DRAGON tuned up for a crucial match in their promotion quest this weekend by slamming lowly Portland Arms in the Premier First Division.

The 5-2 victory enabled Dragon to go second in the table, leapfrogging SPS Training, with whom they lock horns on Sunday in the first of four matches to play.

On a greasy, heavy pitch, Norma Hatfield’s troops weren’t at their best against Portland. But they were ahead from the opening minutes when leading marksman Kane Matthews rounded the ‘keeper to slot home.

More chances were missed, while a goal was disallowed, enabling Portland to not only equalise but also snatch the lead early in the second half, thanks to a double from David Blue.

However the home side began to tire quickly, while Dragon roared back with a leveller from midfielder Josh Haskey, who bundled the ball home when clean through.

Jack Matthews restored the lead with the goal of the game — a bender from just outside the left-hand side of the area. And then Kane Matthews doubled his tally for the day, slotting in from the right side of the box.

The win was completed by newcomer Jonny Bernard, who controlled with his left foot and tucked away with his right for his first goal for the club.

DRAGON LINE-UP (4-4-2) — Taylor J./ Sisson N., Sisson M., Neale, Crowson/ Humphreys, Matthews J., Haskey, Bernard J./ Matthews K., Lucas. Subs: Lewis, Brandley.

NOT far behind Dragon, and with plenty of games in hand, are STATION HOTEL (HUCKNALL), whose 3-1 victory over Premiere suggests they could yet have a say in the Premier First Division promotion race.

Goals from Christian Mantezolo, Kevin Randall and Ben Waplington did the trick for improving Station, with Ashley Barrett replying for the bottom-of-the-table visitors.

Meanwhile, at the foot of Premier Division Two, strikes from Adam Brown and Jake Wright were not enough to prevent another defeat for ROLLS-ROYCE VILLA, who went down 4-2 at promotion-seeking The Arrow.