T8s Advance in Sunday Cup thanks to late goal

editorial image

HUCKNALL’S T8s made it through to the third round of the All England Cup after a last minute winner in extra time by Jack Allen.

It was a hard-fought victory in what can only be described as a proper cup tie against home side Advanced Couriers.

It was an even affair until the deadlock was broken in the 18th minute when the hosts were awarded a penalty after a cross hit winger Damo Mann on the arm, the spot-kick despatched for 1-0.

Advance Couriers were then down to ten men five minutes later when their centre half foolishly went in with a two-footed challenge on Kyle Mcdermott and was rightly given his marching orders.

T8s then piled the pressure on for the remaining 20 minutes of the half, twice having the ball cleared off the line, but the home side hung onto their lead.

The second-half was much of the same, T8s using the extra man to dominate possession but just being unable get the ball in the net, Mann and Chay Betteridge forcing the keeper to make some good saves.

Skipper Danny Hayes was a rock at the back and Aaron Ryan was bossing midfield but it wasn’t until the 84th minute the goal finally came, Andy Start glancing in a Gaz Hayes cross to take the tie to extra-time.

By now the game was very open on a pitch that was a complete mud bath, and both keepers made good saves, but it was Allen who was the hero in the 117th minute as he received the ball 25 yards out, turned and beat two defenders before drilling home much to the delight of the whole T8s camp.

The next round is on December 16 and T8s have a home draw.

n ON a day when waterlogged pitches were largely the norm elsewhere on the local football scene, the Butlers Hill Rec pitch survived all the week’s heavy rain for the game between Athletic T8s against M.I.S. Utd to go ahead, but the hosts ultimately fell to a 4-2 defeat.

Athletico T8s was looking to get their Notts Sunday Combination season back on track after a poor run of form and they thought they could get something out of the game if it wasn’t for poor defending and bad luck.

Athletico started the game with the wind behind them and played some good football in a even end-to-end first half.

M.I.S Utd took the lead after 20 minutes when T8s failed to clear their lines from a corner and the ball was turned into the back of the net after a few attempts.

Matthew Monk almost got the home side back on level terms after a free-kick from Gary Hickman was missed by the goalkeeper and the back post header went agonisingly over the bar.

At the other end Mark Dennis was called into action twice in quick succession only to frustrate the away team.

The second-half got off to the worst possible start when Athletico found themselves 2-0 down within the first couple of minutes, as an attack down the right was crossed into the boxwhere there were three M.I.S. players waiting to put the ball into a empty net.

Things only got worse when a cross-come-shot hit the crossbar only for the ball to land on an M.I.S. player’s head from a yard out to make it 3-0.

Soon it was 4-0, as again the ball wasn’t cleared and a shot from 12 yards out found the back of the net.

Second-half substitute Jamie Brown pulled one back for the home side, when a through ball from fellow sub Max Thornley wasn’t cut out by the defence and Brown slotted the ball past the oncoming keeper.

Athletico were pushing hard and Aiden England made it 4-2 with a carbon copy goal of the first goal.

This set up a tense final quarter but Athletico were unable to turn the pressure into the two goals needed to level the game.