T8s remain in top spot

HUCKNALL outfit T8s remain top of the table after a routine 3-0 Notts Sunday Morning League Premier Premier Division home victory over the aptly-named league new boys Carlton Top Spot.

The game started pretty even for the first ten minutes but T8’s were soon into their stride and took the lead on 11 minutes when Hucknall Town centre half DannyHayes headed home a pinpoint Billy Brooks free kick.

It was 2-0 five minutes later when Jack Allen rounded the keeper to smash home after a great run and the hosts made it 3-0 before the break and it was club captain Danny Hayes once again nodding home after a Joe Hunt long throw.

The second half didn’t produce any goals although a few chances were squandered.

At the other end, T8s were comfortable throughout and keeper Jake Pearson never got tested.

Possession was kept well by the home side with Kyle McDermott pulling the strings.

GREEN Dragon started their home campaign with a 2-2 draw against the established Gedling Inn at Titchfield Park.

Gedling Inn is the new name of what were formerly the Chesterfield Arms FC. The club have been in the Premier Premier Division for a number of seasons now and won the County Cup a couple of seasons ago.

Dragons were George Street FC when they took their scalp 3 -2 and last season lost 2 -0 to them in the second round of the premier division’s cup.

Dragons made the better start and their quick-paced passing game soon brought the opening goal. Keeper Jamie Taylor found left midfielder Danny Humphreys who sent a pinpoint cross into the gedling penalty box onto the head of last season’s top scorer Kane Matthews who had peeled off the last defender and he had time to pick his spot for his first goal of the season and 1-0.

As the half went on, Gedling settled and they got back into the game with a questionable penalty which was well-taken.

The second half was an up-and-down affair but with Gedling having the telling shots which kept Jamie Taylor busy with a string of fine saves.

Dragons regained the lead when a promising short pass play between midfielders Jack Matthews and Jonny Bernard led to the ball being played into Josh Haskey who hit the ball sweetly first time to beat the Gedling keeper all ends up.

The hosts held firm until 15 minutes to go when a back pass did not reach Taylor and the Gedling substitute was sharp enough to pounce onto the ball and calmly slot home.

Dragons have an early break from the league programme this week as they are playing local Combination side Athletico T8’s in the second round of the County Cup.

ALSO in the Premier Division, Plough Barflies succumbed to a 4-2 defeat at Nuthall, and in Division One, Station Hotel edged an eight-goal shoot-out with visitors Stratford Haven 5-3.