TOWN CRISIS: Temporary bosses in as chairman and managers leave

HUCKNALL Town's suffering fans face a tough Christmas and New Year
HUCKNALL Town's suffering fans face a tough Christmas and New Year
Share this article

SHELLSHOCKED officials at Hucknall Town say they are determined to keep the club alive after The Yellows lost their chairman and joint managers in a double hammer blow this week.

The club have been engulfed by crisis once again amid financial troubles and fresh problems behind the scenes, all set against a backdrop of a relegation dogfight in Division One South of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League.

First, chairman Derek Blow announced that he was leaving the club after just seven months at the helm. He claimed there was nothing more he could do for them in a scenario of formidable financial challenges.

Then, when told The Yellows no longer had any more money to pay players and the club would have to switch to amateur status, newly-appointed joint managers Gary Sucharewycz and Ian Robinson also decided they had no choice but to leave.

There are now concerns over whether Town will be able to fulfil their fixture at home to Newcastle Town on Saturday.

It was only a few weeks ago that Robinson and Sucharewycz were appointed to succeed Brett Marshall, who was in charge at Watnall Road for just 18 competitive games.

Marshall claimed the reason for his departure was that his position was no longer tenable.

In the merry-go-round of managers, Tommy Brookbanks sensationally resigned in October 2011 because of a bust-up about the club’s precarious financial position, with them owing more than £80,000 of VAT.

After a public appeal for money in a new shares scheme, Town managed to raise more than £50,000 and agreed a deal with HM Revenue and Customs to pay off the debt over a certain period.

But as with its present plight, the management and players could not be paid until new investment was found and the club had to revert to amateur status.

Brookbanks was replaced by former Nottingham Forest player Des Lyttle but he only stayed for a single season and Marshall took over earlier this year.

General manager Steve Peat said the latest three resignations were a very sad blow for the club.

He added: “It is a horrible situation and I feel devastated but I want to stress this is not the end for Town. This is a great club, a people’s club and it has a lot to be proud of.”

The Yellows have appointed a new chairman in shirt sponsor David Paling, who runs Worksop Van Hire, while David Lester, currently the club’s physiotherapist, has become vice-chairman.

It was also announced former Yellows physio Jason Truscott and Alex Weston have been put in temporary charge of the team, having left similar positions at Glapwell, with former player Jody Caudwell also helping out.

“I would like to point out that they have a good backroom team behind them,” said Peat.

“Obviously there is no way we can compete financially with the likes of other Evo-Stik clubs such as King’s Lynn and Northwich Victoria, who pay out £3,000 a week to players.

“It is key that we find ways to generate more money and it will help a lot if our fans rally round to give us bigger gates.

“Gary and Ian did very well indeed under the circumstances and were just starting to turn things round results-wise, ending with back to back wins.

“It is heartbreaking to see these two young managers leave after dong such a good job on a very limited budget after taking over only about a month ago.

“I am consantly trying to think of fundraising ideas such as car-boot sales and I hope our forthcoming 70s and 80s ‘Christmas Special’ at the Talk of the Town will be well attended.

“I hope it will not be long before we can pay off the rest of our VAT debt, which has been like a millstone round our necks for a long time.”