Yellows buried alive on Cemetery Road

Share this article

A SIX-goal spectacular against Ossett Town looked set to be the catalyst that would save Hucknall Town from relegation to the Evo-Stik League’s First Division.

But the boot was on the other foot when Town travelled to meet in-form former Football League club Bradford Park Avenue on MondayApril 11.

This time, The Yellows were on the receiving end of six goals — and we found out that Bradford’s Horsfall Stadium is not on CEMETERY Road for nothing.

Whether or not Tommy Brookbanks’s side end up being buried alive amid the relegation rubble, only their final three games of the season will tell.

But they certainly have one foot in the grave after a night to forget against a rampant Bradford side, who raced to their seventh win in nine games and duly landed themselves an unexpected place in the promotion play-off positions.

The Yellows remain just outside the bottom four. But they have only two points to spare with three tricky games to negotiate (SEE BACK PAGE AND BELOW).

Brookbanks made three changes to the side that had hammered Ossett but had then thrown away a win against Burscough last Saturday (SEE LEFT). Most tellingly, both centre-backs, Wayne Diuk and Martin Ball, were missing.

In the first 25 minutes, there was little sign of what was to come. The contest was more like a chess match, with both sides cautiously weighing each other up.

But it exploded into life once Bradford had broken the deadlock. By half-time, they were four up and Town had collapsed.

The breakthrough goal was scored by Tom Greaves, who tucked away a rebound after Aiden Savory’s shot had been blocked by ‘keeper Ross Whalin.

The next three goals came in a crash-bang-wallop spell of five minutes just before the break.

First Savory converted a penalty, awarded for handball against Fabian Smith. Next Savory met a cross into the box by Adam Clayton. And then Greaves struck again, heading home from a cormer from Martin Drury.

There was no let-up in the second half, Savory almost completed his hat-trick with an effort that was cleared off the line. But Greaves did net his third, cutting inside to beat Whalin with a low drive.

A superb performance by Bradford was wrapped up eight minutes from the end when substitute Brice Tiani dribbled his way through the wafer-thin Town defence to place a shot in the bottom corner.

The hapless Yellows offered little in reply and it summed up their night when a late effort from Grant Brindley was kicked off the line by full-back Matty Plummer.