Yellows let lead slip as Gresley prevail

editorial image

HUCKNALL’S dismal form continued as they threw away a lead and fell to defeat at home to Gresley on Saturday.

It was a miserable afternoon for football with driving rain and a swirling wind and after only 90 seconds the conditions nearly gifted the home side the lead, as visiting goalkeeper George Woodward slipped as he tried to clear a back pass but the keeper saw his sliced clearance fall to centre half Michael Nottingham who cleared the danger.

At the other end home keeper James Martin was tested early and again he struggled with the greasysurface as Jordan Nadat’s shot squirmed underneath his body but rebounded off the post back into his grateful hands.

James Leggit crossed for Matt Glass who saw his header tipped over by Woodward, and after Tris Whitman took the corner Gresley broke very quickly and Nadat was again foiled by Martin.

With the rain still pouring down the players were struggling to keep their feet but a great through ball from Rob Austin found Alex Ford in the box and as he tried to find a yard of space his ankles were clipped from behind and the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Julian Topliss who calmly sent the keeper the wrong way to give the Yellows the lead.

But just six minutes later Gresley were level as Matt Millns fouled Nadat just outside the box and ex-Yellow James Jepson struck the free-kick straight into the top corner.

There was still time before the break for Nadat to once more be denied by Martin who saved as his near post.

Glass almost gave the home side adream start to the second-half as he got in between the two Gresley centre halves but the ball just ran away from him on the wet surface and the keeper saved his shot with his legs,

But Gresley again broke forward quickly and when Nadat received the ball with his back to goal some 20 yards out, he was allowed to turn, step forward and plant a shot past Martin’s left hand and into the bottom corner.

Topliss then saw a curler turned away by Woodward while at the other end Rob Spencer was denied by Martin.

Phil Massingham was also denied by the busy Martin before the hosts suffered a blow when top scorer Ford was withdrawn injured.

The Yellows’ best piece of football saw Alton Rennalls spread the play to Whitman, and he beat his man before firing in a low cross that saw Glass denied by Woodward.

A minute later it was game over, as with his first touch sub Marc Goodfellow cut in from the right and curled in a left foot shot into the top corner.