LiveCoronavirus LIVE: 'Healthy’ 13-year-old boy dies as Nottinghamshire cases rise to 100
Welcome to our coronavirus live blog for Wednesday, April 1.
As of Tuesday, March 31, Public Health England data shows there are now 100 confirmed cases of the covid-19 virus in Nottingham, one more than the previous day.
Across the UK further 367 people, who tested positive for the Coronavirus (Covid-19) have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in England to 1,651.
Sherwood forest Hospitals Trust confirmed five patients have passed away at King’s Mill Hospital between March 22-26.
Scroll down and read our coronavirus live blog as it happens. Wednesday April 1
Last updated: Wednesday, 01 April, 2020, 13:25
7.15am: Good morning
Good morning on Wednesday, April 1. We will be bringing you the latest updates from the ongoing coronavirus outbreak from across Nottinghamshire and the UK.
Operation Bion - Mansfield Officers conduct 100 miles of foot patrols in a week
wo Beat Managers from the Mansfield North Safer Neighbourhood Team have conducted 100 miles of foot patrol in the Mansfield area during the last week.
Police Constables Lee Huffer and Pete Gardiner (pictured) conducted the high visibility patrols across all areas of the Mansfield district, including known hot spot areas and places where people have been gathering.
They also visited the local supermarkets, open spaces and parks.
They spoke with business owners, residents and young people to support and provide reassurance to the communities during the Coronavirus outbreak.
The patrols have received a great deal of positive feedback from residents who have welcomed the increased visibility.
Neighbourhood Police Sergeant Neil Priestley said: "The officers have done a fantastic job, and their proactive approach has resulted in some excellent community engagement at a time when it is needed the most.
"A massive thank you to local people and businesses who have been complying with the requests and have been really supportive of the work we are doing at this time."
Police given new guidance on enforcing coronavirus lockdown after backlash
Police forces have been told people should not be punished for travelling a "reasonable distance" to exercise following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown.
The new guidance issued by the National Police Chiefs' Council states: "Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don't want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise."
First peak of the of Covid-19 is expected to hit the UK within the next three weeks
The modelling indicates that the peak of the first wave of the epidemic is expected between April 6 and April 20. The modelling team authors emphasise that the work is not a prediction or forecast, rather a model for planning purposes, and also state: "It is assumed that current restrictions remain in place for the foreseeable future.
"When the current restrictions are relaxed, there will be a second wave. Future modelling will focus on the size and shape of this depending on how/when restrictions are relaxed or re-introduced.
"This will remain the case until there is substantial population immunity either as a result of recovery from infection or successful vaccination."
Cheif executive at hospital trust thanks public for donations during coronavirus crisis
Chief Executive for Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS FT, Richard Mitchell, said: “I would like to thank the public, schools, supermarkets, takeaways, volunteers, businesses and everyone else who have been so generous with their donations to colleagues at Sherwood. You have all been so kind. We have received most things you can imagine ranging from free food to hand creams, special opening times at supermarkets and offers of places for colleagues to stay. It is a huge boost to morale and it keeps us going
“We have colleagues working long hours in challenging circumstances, dealing with a situation none of us have faced before and to have such an outpouring of support from our local community feels really special. Not only have we seen kind and generous gifts, but actions like the NHS clap and the words and comments we have received on social media have all helped. Thank you, please continue to look after each other and support us by staying at home. We will get through this together.”
Briton dies aboard coronavirus-hit cruise ship heading to Florida
A British national is among four people to have died on a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship embroiled in a bitter dispute over plans to disembark passengers in the US.
In what is being described as an unfolding humanitarian crisis, so far two of the four people to have died on the cruise ship Zaandam have been confirmed to have had Covid-19.
Nine people aboard testing positive and 189 reporting flu-like symptoms.
"One of the deceased passengers is from the UK," a spokesman for the Holland America cruise line, which operates the Zaandam, said.
"Due to US ... laws, we cannot provide any additional medical and health details."
13 year old boy from London dies after testing positive for coronavirus
Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab from Brixton in South London, died in hospital on Monday. He had tested positive for the virus on Friday.
He is not thought to have had any underlying conditions. A spokesman for King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust said: "Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for Covid-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time.
"The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made."