AFC dominant in win at Sherwood Colliery

AFC Mansfield remained top of the Central Midlands League North Division with a dominant display at Debdale Park on Saturday that saw them win 3-0 at Sherwood Colliery.

Joe Naylor fired over from the edge of the box, and five minutes later rattled the crossbar with a header as AFC pressed.

Mulligan should have put the home side in front on 25 minutes. Racing clear of two defenders, his low drive had Sheppard beaten, but it drifted wide of the far post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Liam Kerry bravely dived at the feet of Nathan Whitehead to keep the score at 0-0 on the half-hour mark and four minutes later superbly tipped Danny Naylor’s goalbound 20-yard volley over the bar.

Whitehead saw his shot clear the bar and Green crashed his effort against the bar as the Bulls looked for the opener.

The visitors continued their hunt for a goal at the beginning of the second half, Green hitting the post after 48 minutes.

Again the home side nearly took the lead when Brendan Williams crossed from the left and Dale Sheppard somehow managed to block Keenan Leeds effort at point blank range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But AFC Mansfield took the lead on 67 minutes after a fine ball from Naylor found Phil Buxton on the right flank. His superb cross found Holmes, whose initial effort was blocked by a defender. But, when the ball came back, he found the back of the net from 12 yards with the help of a deflection.

Three minutes later and the score was doubled as Naylor delivered a curling ball that the defenders couldn’t deal with and Green smashed the ball home from six yards.

Green completed the scoring on 84 minutes, firing past the advancing Kerry from 15 yards.

Glapwell returned to winning ways in style as they recorded a 5-2 victory at Kinsley Boys.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After a solid opening few minutes, Glapwell took the lead on six minutes when Rob Holland broke up play and threaded in Jordan Jones, who ran at the defence before firing low into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Kinsley responded well and went close on a couple of occasions before they levelled on 21 minutes when league top scorer Craig Rouse tucked a penalty home after Josh Stacy had been fouled in the area.

Three minutes later, and before Glapwell could compose themselves, they fell behind as Rouse struck again.

Glapwell soon levelled, though, when Geoff Gouveia did well to beat a couple of challenges inside the area before opening up his body and finishing inside the near post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They were then ahead for the second time four minutes after half-time when a corner was not properly cleared, with the ball falling to Gouveia, who skipped past a defender and finished well from 12 yards.

Kinsley were restricted to mainly half chances after that while Glapwell effectively made sure of the victory with 15 minutes left when Jake Wharton played in Jordan Jones, who tucked the ball under the keeper for his second of the afternoon.

The result was wrapped up with 10 minutes to go when Ash Barber finished well into the bottom corner from just outside the area to complete a fine team performance as Glapwell moved back up into the top 10 to continue their recent improvement.

Ollerton were pipped 4-3 at home in a goal thriller by Newark while Thoresby edged a 3-2 away win at Welbeck.

In the South Division, Blidworth Welfare were 2-1 victors over Calverton.

Related topics: