CML round-up: Thoresby drop vital points

Thoresby Colliery dropped points in their Central Midlands League Black Dragon Badges North Division title chase, visitors Easington United claiming a 2-2 draw.
Pinxton v Blidworth WelfarePinxton v Blidworth Welfare
Pinxton v Blidworth Welfare

Jamie Tryner supplied both of Thoresby’s goals, with Chris Frost getting a brace for the Eastenders.

It’s hotting up at the top as leaders Clay Cross Town travelled to Askern and also dropped two points as they were held to a 2-2 draw.

Aiden Ordidge put the Millers in front with just 70 seconds on the clock and Ritchie Matthews doubled the advantage on 20 minutes.

Askern turned the tables in the second half, Matty Devine and Gareth Collinson scoring within a minute of each other.

Two of the top four met at Station Road, and in a wind-affected game, Newark Town put Westella VIP under great pressure for most of the game, but had to wait until the last minute for Arron Martin’s goal which separated the sides and consolidated Newark’s second place in the table.

Glapwell made it back to back victories as they saw off 10-men Brodsworth Welfare at the Welfare Ground, winning 4-0.

Glapwell took the lead on 18 minutes when Adam Kimberley cut inside from the right before his shot went in via the inside of the near post.

The home side’s task was made even more difficult when their skipper Jake Starbuck was shown a straight red two minutes later.

He originally committed a foul before grabbing Glapwell assistant Neil Grayson by the throat.

They had a couple of half chances in the first period but Glapwell held on through to half-time, despite having the disadvantage of a strong wind.

In the second, their lead was doubled when Dean Spencer beat the keeper to a ball through before tapping it home.

It was three with five minutes left when Spencer got himself on the scoresheet again when he finished emphatically after being played in by Daniel Russell.

Russell then got in on the act with the final action of the match when he brilliantly volleyed home via the underside of the bar from Callum Dovison’s ball from the left.

Phoenix’s remarkable revival rolls on with Dinnington Town the latest victims as they went down by three goals to two at Brinsworth.

Despite a strong wind, both sides played skilful and entertaining football and there were some well struck goals the home side’s winner coming in the last five minutes.

Rob Gorman, Suhail Hussein and Steve Spence were the Phoenix goalscorers, Kyle Spooner and Kyle Skeldon replying for Dinnington.

Sherwood Colliery almost pulled off a rare victory at Appleby Frodingham but had to settle for a point as Daniel Barrowcliffe struck an 89th minute leveller.

Barrowcliffe had already equalised Nick Langford’s opener for Sherwood, who went two up with a brace of Harry Joule goals.

Nathan Watson pulled one back for the home side before the late equaliser.

Carl Russo put Ollerton Town one up at Thorne Colliery with a 35-yard strike, but the home side retaliated with Brett Thomas, Kyle Palmer and Rob Wilson all finding the net.

Russo gave Ollerton some hope with his second, but Ross Ebbage had the last word to give Thorne a 4-2 win.

Pinxton took their unbeaten run to five games in the Black Dragon Badges South Division with a convincing 6-2 defeat of Blidworth Welfare.

Jake Vernon put the home side a two up, Liam Theakstone pulling one back before Pete Stubley restored the two goal advantage. Max Curzon got a second for Blidworth but that was as close as it got, Vernon taking his tally to four, Kurtis Bamford getting the other one.

Bulwell move up to third with a 2-1 win over Eastwood Community. All the goals came after the interval, Jake Fisher and Conor Carter putting the Bulls two up before Lee Bull got one back for Eastwood.

Hucknall Rolls won the latest in the series of local derbies, travelling to Linby Colliery and triumphing 4-1.

Long range strikes from Jack Smith and Greg Conn put Rolls two up at the break. Conn scored his second before Ash Winfield struck back for Linby, Chay Betteridge’s penalty rounding it off for the visitors.

No shocks at Bishops Drive where Belper United saw off struggling Southwell City 3-1.

Sam Vickers, with two, and Ash Dhindsa were Belper’s scorers, Calum Law getting a late consolation for the Minstermen.

Mickleover RBL got the better of Hucknall Town, George Eley and Ben Stockley were first half scorers for the Legion, with Aaron Evans getting one back for Hucknall.

Real United beat bottom of the table Holbrook St Michaels 4-2, the goals coming from Dalton Stephens (2), Jamie Cross and Tyrone Burton.

In the quarter-final of the League Cup sponsored by Abacus Lighting, Swanwick’s tie with Clifton All Whites went all the way to penalties.

A goal from Ben Clarke and a Rob Norris penalty put the All Whites in front, but the home side fought back, levelling through Guy Wilding and a penalty from Shane Buckerfield.

The Swans had chances to clinch it, but the penalty shootout went Clifton’s way. They will face Clay Cross or Mickleover Royals in the semi-final.