Depleted Teversal maintain good run

Teversal continue their good run of results on Saturday with a 1-0 NCEL Division One win at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic, despite not being able to field their regular team.

Delighted Teversal manager Scott Simpson said: “We really did have to work for this win, it was one of those games that was always going to be difficult with a threadbare squad.

“We had to introduce some lads from the teserves and we gave Montelle Kamara his debut.

“I would have been happy with a point before the game. But the lads once again worked their socks off and we more than deserved the result.”

Worsbrough took control of the game from the start at the Park Road pitch and just five minutes into the match a strong penalty claim was denied for Worsbrough, much to the relief of Teversal.

The Teversal defence was put to the test as Rob Adgie raced to a ball passed through the Teversal back line, but Dye in goal reacted quickly to the danger to make an excellent save on the edge of his 18 yard box.

Midway into the first half, it was Teversal’s turn to have a penalty appeal turned down, after Harris’ shirt was grabbed, pulling him back, but officials did not see the incident.

The Teversal side started to create openings with both wide players, Kamara and Harris, having some success.

It was Worsbrough who held the possession and posed a threat, keeping Dye on his toes, having to make another excellent save after striker Danny Cawley had the luck of the bounce in a challenge with Parkes.

The visitors made the counter attack, as Pursglove broke clear before managing to hold off Hoyland to chip the ball to Dawson, who failed to direct his diving header on target. On the half time whistle the scoreline remained at 0-0.

The second half swung more in Teversal’s favour and they managed to keep control for the whole of the second half.

An agonisingly close opportunity for a Teversal goal arose when Greg Tobin threaded a ball through to Dave Cockerill, whose effort was blocked by defender Andy Taylor.

Another goal opportunity opened when Cockerill fired a low cross across the six yards box, which was only inches away from Kamara, who just missed out on making the final touch into the goal.

Teversal increased the threat to Worsbrough after a shot from Barry Stokes forced goalkeeper Jared Oxley to fully stretch for an excellent save.

In the 56th minute Teversal finally took the lead when Cockerill’s corner kick found Parkes, who powerfully headed the ball down into the goal at the far post.

Worsbrough made a last minute attempt at equalising but Rob Adgie’s header to Crawley couldn’t be put away into the goal.

For the final few minutes Teversal kept possession until the whistle to make sure they hung onto the points.

Related topics: