More gifts from Teversal

Teversal’s dismal December continued with yet another game in which they gifted the three points to the opposition, falling to their sixth straight loss and their fifth in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One with a 4-1 defeat at Bottesford Town on Saturday.

The day didn’t start well when Scott Simpson was denied the services of goalkeeper Simon Dye, who had to pull out due to a family matter, then with the two other senior keepers unavailable it left him with no option than to give a debut to 17-year-old Joseph Darby, who coped admirable coming into a side in such a poor run of results.

The visitors were hit on the break as Pembleton and Cross combined to find Bridge, who was denied by an excellent save by Darby with the ball scrambled clear, only for Cross to deliver a near post cross to Pembleton who forced the Tevie keeper into having to make another save. But this time Bridge was on hand to fire home the loose ball to give his side a 13th minute lead.

Teversal then had to clear two efforts off the goal line before they levelled through an error by home keeper Lee Herrick.

Harris cut in from the left flank looking to find a shooting opportunity for himself but unselfishly laid the ball to Cockerill to unleash an effort from 20 yards that looked like it was going to be easily gathered by the keeper, but he allowed the ball to slip through his grasp and over the line with only three minutes to the break.

In the second half Teversal took control and had their best spell of the game. Then a four minute period of madness saw the points given to Bottesford.

Firstly Parkes miscontrolled a routine pass that allowed Jack Cross the time and space to race clear down the left flank before driving in a low cross that saw Short guide past his own keeper to restore Bottesford’s lead on 73 minutes.

On 76 minutes it was the referee’s turn to deliver his gift to Bottesford by awarding a penalty that even the home side was shocked to get.

Pembleton delivered a low pass into the near post and Bridge’s first touch saw the ball run away from the striker, who dropped to his knees in what looked like frustration.

But the referee awarded a penalty and booked Staniforth, Barwick made no mistake sending Darby the wrong way to make it 3-1 with 14 minutes to play.

In the end Jack Cross added a deserved goal in added on time to mark an excellent personal performance after being found by Kraig Wharton’s well-weighted pass to complete a harsh scoreline that really doesn’t reflect the closeness of the game.

Next up for Tevie is the visit of neighbours Clipstone on Saturday (3pm).

Related topics: