Smith is Clipstone four-goal hero in Vase rout

Jamie Smith bagged four goals as Clipstone produced six of the best to book a trip to Blidworth Welfare in the FA Vase second qualifying round after thumping Grimsby Borough 6-0 away on Saturday.

Grimsby kicked off and for the first 15 minutes it was one of the few touches they had as Clipstone were on the front foot from the off.

They won the first corner of the game on 48 seconds, taken by Steve Carty and whipped in to Jamie Smith, whose header whisked over the bar by inches.

Smith didn’t have to wait very long for the opening goal, though.

On seven minutes great work by Carty on the right of midfield saw play switched to Armstrong, and in turn to Ryan Hindley on the far left, and his pinpoint cross found the head of Smith, who sent his effort past the despairing dive of the keeper to put the visitors one to the good.

Just three minutes later it was 2-0. Somehow Smith was allowed to run on from the halfway line, and go one on one with the onrushing keeper. Smith’s first effort came back off the keeper’s foot, but ricocheted back off Smith’s thigh and into the back of the empty net – fortunate, but they all count.

Great work by Blake Owen won the ball back for Clipstone on 18 minutes and he managed to lay it over to Ryan Hindley, who once again accurately crossed to the far post where Smith was on hand to stretch his neck out far enough to complete his hat-trick.

Smith was far too hot for Grimsby to handle, winning free kicks left right and centre, and nearly bagged his fourth on 20 minutes. This time a Carty cross found him out yards out, but unfortunately for him, his finish dipped just over the bar.

Smith was in the middle of things once again on 29 minutes after great team work involving at least six players, the ball landing to Smith who unleashed a shot which was blocked, but Blake Owen was on hand to poke the ball home.

It may sound as if Clipstone were camped in their opponents’ half, which is not quite true, but every ball Grimsby laid into the Clipstone half was either overhit or misdirected which made it an easy half for the Clipstone defence.

Keeper Rob White only had scraps to pick up and was only tested once with a 30 yard effort that bounced just in front of him, which he dealt with competently.

It must be said that the whole Clipstone team were working for each other. At no stage within the first half did anyone put a foot wrong.

Just before the half-time whistle the icing was already on top of the cake.

Matty Ord linked up well with Blake Owen, who stepped past two defenders and set up Smith to unleash a ferocious shot into the corner of goal to give Clipstone a five star and five goal first half.

Grimsby made a couple of substitutions at the beginning of the second half, and this seemed to give the hosts some sort of pride to try to get something from this match.

But they could not find a way past the Clipstone defence, Rich Mintoft and Brandon Shaw clearing up everything the hosts could muster.

On 57 minutes Clipstone manager Chris Millington decided to give four goal hero Smith a rest when he was replaced by Adam Wisdom.

Wisdom gave Clipstone a little more movement up front and was unlucky on a couple of occasions to be adjudged offside.

On 69 minutes the ever industrious Steve Carty was replaced by Josh Gibson.

Matty Ord was given more room in midfield to push forward at every opportunity, and he was making runs at pace, which was frightening the Grimsby defenders.

On 83 minutes this cost the hosts as Ord was tripped just inside the penalty area. Ryan Hindley stepped up and converted the spot kick expertly to finish the scoring and complete Grimsby’s humiliation.

Next up for Clipstone is an FA Cup first round qualifying tie away to step 3 side Grantham Town, this Saturday (3pm).