New £2.7m Hucknall pool 'on track' to open next spring
Work on the brand second pool at Hucknall Leisure Centre is ‘on track’ for the facility to open next spring as planned.
Coun Wilmott, who represents Hucknall North, confirmed the pool was ‘on track’ to open in the spring
He said the new pool was part of a improvement package worth more than £5.5 million that ‘would make it even better than the 1980s’ when Olympic gold medallist Duncan Goodhew opened the leisure centre.
Hucknall man admits stealing from town stores after appearing before Nottingham magistrates
Hucknall: Whyburn Farm green belt set to be saved as council moves to scrap plans for 3,000 houses
Stagecoach to take over running Hucknall 141 bus service that faced the axe
Tastebuds at the ready as Hucknall Food and Drink Festival returns this weekend
Council leader hits back at Hucknall MP's claims Ashfield Independents have been forced into a u-turn over Whyburn Farm
The new pool will predominantly offer swimming lessons, family sessions and aqua-based activities to support people to age well, and for people living with long-term health conditions.
Coun Wilmott, himself a centre user for more than 40 years, said: “It’s amazing to see work progress as our promise comes to fruition.
“When the Ashfield Independents took over the council, the Hucknall councillors presented a shopping list of improvements we wanted.
"An extra swimming pool and massive improvements was top of the list..
"This is a victory for Hucknall.”
The new pool is the last of a raft of improvements that have been made at the leisure centre as part of a £22 million leisure transformation across Ashfield.
Hucknall improvements include:
• A new health and fitness gym located on the ground floor.
• Refurbishment of the main entrance area to now include a seating area.
• Three new group exercise studios – a multipurpose exercise studio, indoor cycling studio and Earth studio.
• Refurbished wet side changing rooms to a changing village.
• Redecoration and refurbishment of the squash courts and sports hall floor.
• A new health hub facility, offering free use to community groups supporting the health and wellbeing of local residents.
• A new Atlantis pool inflatable.
• New air handling units and LED lighting in the sports hall.
Coun Wilmott added, “By the time we are finished, the council will have invested £5.5 million in Hucknall Leisure Centre.
“It will be bigger and have more state of the art facilities than when we built it.
"It’s no wonder that people are saying that Ashfield has the best council-run leisure facilities in England.”