Monday, 28th December 2015: Mansfield Town 1, York City 1

Mansfield Town v York City - Skybet League Two - One Call Stadium - Saturday 28th December 2015

Stags celebrate equaliserMansfield Town v York City - Skybet League Two - One Call Stadium - Saturday 28th December 2015

Stags celebrate equaliser
Mansfield Town v York City - Skybet League Two - One Call Stadium - Saturday 28th December 2015 Stags celebrate equaliser
Mansfield Town saw two more home points slip from their grasp as struggling visitors York City left with a 1-1 draw from a thrilling game at One Call Stadium.

In front of a bumper festive crowd, Stags fell behind to a 10th minute Dave Winfield strike.

But the excellent Krystian Pearce headed them level on 31 minutes and York survived a string of home chances after the break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Twice Stags hit the York bar, Matt Green hitting it from five yards when it seemed he must score, and twice Scott Flinders made good saves.

On a day when Stags announced the next three home games will be U18s £1 admission, fans were treated to a superb game with York always dangerous.

Ryan Tafazolli was dropped to the bench with a slight knock. Boss Adam Murray decided he couldn’t risk starting the young centre half today.

Mitch Rose was moved across to right back and Lee Collins into the centre of defence.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Back in the side was Craig Westcarr to play just behind lone striker Matt Green.

York, who ended a run of nine straight defeats with their win over Morecambe just before Christmas, included former Stags striker Vadaine Oliver.

After clearing an early Mansfield corner, the visitors created the first danger down the left, Ilesanmi eventually blazing well over from a tight angle on the left of the box on six minutes.

But the Minstermen were ahead on 10 minutes.

Summerfield curled in a free kick from wide on the left and, as the home back line moved up, they allowed Winfield to stroll between them and get a deft touch on the ball to beat Jensen.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 16 minutes Clements was clattered by Summerfield 25 yards from goal. Chapman’s free kick was powerful and on target but straight at the keeper.

York could have been two up on 23 minutes but for a great save from Jensen.

Fewster was able to get In a good cross from the left to the far post where Oliver guided a strong header beyond Jensen, the keeper doing well to claw it away.

Soon after Fewster swept a low finish wide of the far post as home fans became restless.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stags stepped up the pace and a good burst by Adams saw him denied by a last ditch tackle by Galbraith as he prepared to pull the trigger.

Then Blair showed good footwork down the centre to create space for a shot that deflected just over.

Mansfield were rewarded for their increased pressure with a goal from their fifth corner on 31 minutes.

Chapman floated it in from the right and Pearce met it with a well-guided header just inside the left post with Green well placed to make it hard for Flinders to see the ball coming.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Former Stag Oliver was jeered as he was finally booked for persistent fouling on 33 minutes after he brought down Collins.

Summerfield was a lucky man when Westcarr robbed him as he tried a risky turn on the edge of his own box and the referee decided Westcarr had fouled him.

York won their first corner of the game in stoppage time and Summerfield’s flag kick somehow curled right across the face of goal through everyone and out for a goalkick.

Westcarr forced the keeper into a close range save on 48 minutes on the left after Adams had put a half-cleared free kick back into the box.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A minute later Flinders had to stretch upwards to grab an on-target Lambe shot.

Green then called for a penalty though contact looked minimal.

Play switched upfield and from a quickly taken free kick Fewster pulled a low shot wide from 25 yards.

On 53 minutes Lambe and Winfield clashed after a challenge with home fans angry only Lambe was booked.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 55 minutes Adams sent in a skidding free kick that Flinders grabbed with no one able to get the touch needed.

Stags sent on Nathan Thomas for Blair on 56 minutes.

On 63 minutes Fewster left Rose on his backside on the left before cutting inside and then screwing a poor finish high and wide.

A minute later Green missed a golden chance. Nathan Thomas got to the left by-line and drilled in a low cross that Green met five yards from goal. It seemed he must score but the ball flew up and hit the bar.

On 70 minutes Stags again hit the York bar as Lambe fired a shot goalwards from over 20 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon after Lambe warmed Flinders’ hands from 25 yards, the keeper safely palming the ball away.

Clements stretched for a tackle on 74 minutes but caught the man first and was booked.

Oliver wasn’t far off reaching a cross from sub Carson at the far post as York continued to show they still had threat.

On 84 minutes Chapman curled a cross in from the right and Yussuf threw himself into a diving header which brought a good stop out of Flinders.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Out of the blue on 88 minutes York skipper Penn almost won it with a great strike from 25 yards that only just missed the target.

STAGS: Jensen, Rose, Pearce, Collins, Chapman, Clements, Green, Westcarr (Yussuf 78), Blair (Nathan Thomas 56), Lambe, Adams. Subs not used: Shearer, Beardsley, Tafazolli, J. Thomas, McGuire.

YORK CITY: Flinders, Ilesanmi, Berrett, Nolan, Summerfield, Oliver, Penn, Winfield, Boyle, Fewster (Carson 76), Galbraith. Subs not used: Ingham, Straker, Swan, Godfrey, McEvoy, Kitching.
REFEREE: Darren Handley of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,958 (635 away)